Wednesday, April 30, 2014

the three little piggies

Our little "farm" is starting to expand! A few weeks ago we brought home some piglets to raise.
The two older boys bought their own piglets as an investment and our family bought the third pig for our own freezer.
It is hard to say "three piggies" without inserting "little" in the front. It is a good thing that they start off little because these three little piggies are so cute!


These piglets are a heritage breed called "Berkshire" and are prized for their tasty, tender, and juicy meat. Their meat has lower levels of saturated fat and higher levels of vitamins, minerals, and Omega 3. Berkshires roam out in pastures and are mostly grass fed.


While the hog pen was being built, the piglets boarded in the chicken coop. I had done a fair amount of research before we bought the pigs and I was almost certain that they would make their way out of the chicken coop so the rush was on to finish the hog pen.
Sure enough, the day after we got them, we were eating our Sunday lunch and happened to notice some unusual activity in the back yard. Liam was the first to clue in, "The pigs are out!!!" And out we rushed, including me in my Sunday clothes and rubber boots. I grabbed a nearby broom and the boys started charging. Pigs were darting here and there and the boys were right behind them. Adam calmed everyone down and eventually the piglets calmed down too, enough so that Adam could grab their twisting and turning hind legs. Finally all three piglets were caught and brought back to the coop and we double latched the doorways. As we were walking back into the house, I said to Adam "This better not happen to me while you are gone. That would not be good."
Fastforward three days.
I was on the phone ordering our laying hens when I spotted movement in the back yard. I took a big gulp and blinked a few times. Sure enough, those little rascals had escaped again. I hurriedly finished placing my chicken order and then grabbed my rubber boots. "Here goes nothing!" I thought as I raced out of the door.
I checked next door to see if my neighbour was home but his driveway was empty. I looked down the road to see if my mom was home but her car was gone too. "Just as well," I thought.
The last time I had called my mom for help because the chickens had gotten loose, she hurried over and just stood there and laughed. I was certain that she would be in pure hysterics if she saw me chasing piglets.
Three piglets on the loose was no laughing matter and it was up to me and Tyler to catch them.
This time I grabbed a bucket of food and with much perseverance and patience I finally had them rounded up and herded them into the coop.
Strangely enough, I did not panic. The feeling of rounding them up felt oddly familiar.
 That is when it sunk in. I have this with the boys. There are times when they seem to be moving in different directions all at once and it happens to be when I have food in my hand that I get their undivided attention and their ears suddenly perk up. When they see or smell food there is great cooperation and our instructions are followed precisely. And so it is with piglets:)

The beginnings of the hog pen. Adam used pallets to frame the pig shelter.

Doesn't it look like this piglet is grinning?!

We had left over barn board from house renovations to finish the pig shelter off. 

The boys have affectionately named their piglets and made signs for them.

                                                                Ready to move in.
Now its time to fatten up!
To all of our stop-over guests, please keep on coming but bring scraps of food with you!

6 comments:

  1. Love it! I laughed when I read the pig's names! My brother and sister in law had 3 pigs last year and their kids chose the exact Same 3 names! Enjoy your home grown bacon, sausage and ham!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun and what a great experience for the kids (and you:))! Loved the bit about how boys, pigs, and food connect so well. Too true. Also loved the names. Probably a good reminder to not get too attached. When we had a calf way back, it was called T-Bone too . .. .

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohh Kerri, you guys are the best! Those pig names are too much fun. I can just picture your mom laughing at you chasing pigs/chickens/dogs (&boys)..I would do the same. :) Clearly I need to come visit the family farm soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerri, this is hilarious. And reminiscent of Christine rounding up cows periodically! You are such a good sport, and mother of boys! I was amused by your comparison of rounding up pigs and rounding up kids... that is great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha. That's so cool! I love piggies. The names are so cool. :)

    ReplyDelete