Friday, April 11, 2014

Serve


It was a brisk autumn Monday morning.  I sat with the boys at the bus stop spending a few moments in conversation before the big yellow bus made its appearance.

"Boys, last night when the college and career group was over, all of you went to bed without complaining and that was really helpful. It was also great that you stayed in bed. With your great attitude, it helped daddy and I lead the bible study group without any distractions.
Did you know that by your attitude, you were serving God?

As these words left my mouth, God nudged my heart and mind.

How was my attitude when Adam went on family visits or to church meetings?  I knew the answer. Not good. Often as Adam left in the evening I would look at him with "tired eyes." Homework, dishes, baths, bottles, and diapers - I wanted him to notice that this would be the evening in front of me and he would not be around to help. I was not serving God with my attitude.

When God nudged my heard and mind- I finally got it. When I serve my family, I am serving Him! When Adam leaves for meetings and my attitude is showing that it will be alright here at home (with much reliance on God), I am serving God!
How great God is that He gives us these opportunities to serve Him during this season of life.

S.E.R.V.E.

*Smile (At home, in the office, at the store; even on the phone, a smile changes the sound of your voice and     sends a message of warmth and friendliness)

*Explore and Empathize (Observe others, ask questions, and show-interest and compassion)

*Reconcile (Be a peacemaker, always ready to confess, forgive, and reconcile others to one another and to   God through Christ)

*Value (Express appreciation and admiration for what others do)

*Encourage (Give courage and inspire, always leaving others with more "wind under their wings")


"As you reflect on how God has loved and served you, and pray for His redeeming grace to fill your heart, you can do one or more of these things to every person you meet throughout your day."

***The S.E.R.V.E. acronym was shared at our ladies Bible Study. It was taken from Ken Sande's blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment