Saturday, April 26, 2014

mud-ducks-boys!


I will always be indebted to Dr. Dobson for writing "Bringing Up Boys." Coming from a family of all girls, and now raising five fiery boys, has forced me to read his chapters over and over again.
However, one chapter was excluded from his book. That was the chapter on MUD.
Mud pies, mud cakes, mud balls, muddy boots, muddy fingers, muddy toes, muddy faces ,muddy hair, muddy doors, muddy clothes, and even muddy carpets at times...

Dr. Dobson did not warn about the frustrations that MUD causes a mother.
He did not write that it is not worth building a bridge, because boys will just walk through the stream anyways.
Dr. Dobson did not give necessary laundry suggestions on how to get mud stains out of white school socks. He failed to give different mop product reviews. (Right now I have three different mops on the go.)


During this particularly wet, cold April, our boys have loved roaming through the back fields and up and down the streams. This has been great for the boys- especially after a long winter. I would be fine with it too IF they would just leave the same muddy clothes on all day. But instead, the boys get wet and chilled and then they take their clothes off; leave their clothes scattered here and there, and find more outdoor play clothes. This happens all day long. By evening, the mountains of muddy clothes and boots are exploding.





 
                                 These are the small piles of muddy clothes!
Who else has washed a caterpillar?
In my rush to get the laundry done, I forgot to check boys' pockets for their "treasures."


And now on to more beautiful things. Like Ducks. I can hardly get the laundry done, because I am busy watching these stunning bufflehead ducks in our pond. The male has especially captured my attention with his dives and graceful swimming patterns. I am not sure how rare bufflehead ducks are, but I hope that they make a nest and stay for the summer.
  I am not sure what this bird is but it keeps busy along the shore eating up bugs.

Caleb is also fond of the outdoors and if his brothers are all playing outside he is desperate to be with them, BUT he is quick on his feet (surprise, surprise) so he has to wait until I can go outside with him to watch him.

      And this picture says it all. Dirt, frogs, lifejacket...his constant companions.

10 comments:

  1. Ahh, Kerri, I feel your pain. This year we are undergoing a major greenhouse construction project right outside my door and that added to the fun swampy area on the other side - YIKES. Sometimes I just pray for grace. I must confess that a good investment for me has been bogs, they are pricey, but I find that I just run a hose on the outside of the bogs and they go in the cupboard and are good to go the next time and the inside stays dry (and they lasted the winter season which typical winter boots have not) - that and a decent splash suit that keeps them clean (not necessarily dry though)........ Every school morning I sigh because the clean uniform pants are somehow splashed all over with mud just from going out to feed the dog. :P This to shall pass - I think the boys are having a lot of fun a long the way and it makes me thankful for my washer! Ericka

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL loved this post!!
    I get it!!
    As an "older" mother of 6 boys (and 1 girl) the mud and laundry NEVER stops!!
    From the 20 year old, down to the 3 year old!!!!
    Mud is definitely part of life with BOYS!!
    But, the years are flying by, and some day, I'm sure I will miss the mud:)
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a guy, I'm afraid I'm not going to be a good commiserator Kerri! ;) Nice bird shots though! Sorry, but the Buffleheads will likely leave you to nest further up north. Too bad as they're very cute birds. And the other bird is a Lesser Yellowlegs. They are also in the middle of migration and also nest up north. Nice that you can enjoy seeing these right in your backyard! And as much as I like bird pictures, the frog & Tyler(?) pictures are the best! Our families have got to get together again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments everyone! Brian, I was hoping that you would tell me what that bird was. Its too bad that they are going to move further north. We have loved watching them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How can you not love those pictures??? - especially the triptych at the end. At least he's standing still!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha love it! I so enjoy your blog. your the best mom for those 5 boys! Your baby is walking already!? I hear we will be up north together again. So looking forward to a coffee on the beach, talking about our love for our Dear Dr. D, and chasing crazy kids together. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, this is Katie Pennings ;)

      Delete
  7. Hmm I just lost my big long comment. It said, I love your life. :). Love your blog, and LOVE those pics of Tyler and the frog. You are such an mazing momma!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I definitely enjoying every little bit of it. It is a great website and nice share. I want to thank you. Good job! You guys do a great blog, and have some great contents. Keep up the good work. Kinderschoenen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, and great website. Thanks for the information! Baby Walker

    ReplyDelete