Friday, September 2, 2011

boys & their bathroom manners (or lack of)

There are times during the day that I just shake my head & I sigh.  I do not understand these sons of mine. Their bathroom manners are weird. Here are a few stories that I hesitate to share because they may or may not be normal stories. I do not know. I did not grow up with brothers.

*Andrew - he was nicely playing in the living room when he gave a loud shout "I've got to go!' Before I could blink he ran past the bathroom & tore outside to my beautiful magnolia tree and proceeded to pee on it. After he was done, he came right back inside & continued to play.
If we are outside & he needs to go to the bathroom it takes him a long time to make a decision about which tree to go to. It takes him so long that I fear he will have an accident. I am sure that he thinks that he is doing that tree a huge favour by peeing on it. But we have come a long way from last year. In the nic of time I stopped Andrew from peeing on a fake tree in the house. At least he now knows the difference between real & fake trees!
A few weeks ago I asked Andrew what his very favourite part of Up North was (campfires, boating, fishing)  he quickly replied, "going to the bathroom."  whaaat?!

*I have had boys go on the toilet at the same time and do their job. They were very proud of themselves for that stunt. That will not happen again.

*And for the climax. Not long ago, the two oldest boys were becoming increasingly excitable. That is my new word for hyper. I told them to take it outside & if anyone gets hurt, not to come to me. You know how it goes.
Again, before I could blink, they are peeing. This time though, they are not peeing on a tree but on eachother...I flipped. I ran outside & told them to stop, but I guess that it is hard to stop mid stream. Apparently this is called "swords." They didn't know what to do & neither did I. Am I missing something because I just don't get it. I gave them two of the smallest scrub brushes that I could find & a pail of soapy water. I told them to wash themselves & to start scrubbing the patio. Surprisingly, they ended up having a water fight. (believe me, I did see that one coming.)  Did I do the right thing?  Did I over react?  Is this something that all young boys go through? I do not know. But I do know that scrubbing the patio/water fight kept them busy & out of more trouble until supper time & that is what counts.

5 comments:

  1. Hilarious! Love how you write about it, too. At least they're outa diapers (I assume), which is more than I can say for our little guy (who I'm guessing might be older than Andrew, judging by the pics on your sidebar)...

    Happy anniversary!

    Rachel Joy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel, I think our little guys are born a few weeks from eachother. I am sure that they were playing together they would be fun to watch!
    Rachel - I live 2 minutes away from Maria. If your ever out this way, please stop by! I would love it!
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  3. Too funny! I think it's just a boy thing. I grew up with only sisters until my brother was born when I was 16 so I don't have much experience with boys either. But I'm learning daily with a 3 and a half year old (who refuses to be potty trained :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds fun, Kerri! Thanks for the invitation - I'll keep it in mind for sometime when I'm out that way!
    And yes, I'm sure Andrew and Willie would be fun to watch together. Anyone who wears watermelon on his head has got to be entertaining & fun to hang out with... :)

    Rachel Joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerri, I don't think you'll ever understand - it's a guy thing! :) Enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete