Tuesday, September 20, 2011

BOOKS!

I have been trying to come up with a snazzy title about book reviews but
have come up with just plain "books." Books are my passion, and life seems
dull if I don't have a book(s) on the go. They are inspiring, interesting, and as we tell our
children, they open up a whole new world. Here are three books that I have finished.



I am sure that those who know my dear husband are thinking that there is no way that Kerri needs to read this! True enough!
Our bible study leader recommended this book to everyone and now I do too. This is an absolute "must read." At one time or another we have all mistreated and hurt our spouse. We have also been on the receiving end of mistreatment. When you were hurt, did you react or respond? Leslie Vernick explores the difference between reaction and responses. Using Scripture she teaches how to love even when we are scared, hurt, angry, or don't feel like loving. In this book you will learn how God uses this relationship to help you grow to be more like Christ. You will not read about quick fixes but the author encourages spiritual maturity and growth in Christ. Heart changes.

We are reminded that marriage is not about finding the right person but about becoming the right person.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 


Here is a book that I wish that I had read when I was a nurse. This doctor writes about the convictions that he had in his profession and how he over time, carried out God's desire for him.  Dr. Levy'S knees shook the first time that he prayed with his patient prior to surgery. And then when he realized that God not only wanted him to pray privately with the patient; but publicly with the family members, nursing and surgical team, Dr. Levy did not think that he could do it. But he did. At first when I was reading this book I felt that there was a bit of the "health and wealth gospel" but later on in the book, it proved not to be.
This book is encouraging. Whether you are in college trying to pray before your meal in public, or with colleagues, it can be hard to pray and show your faith. Let Dr. Levy's story inspire you. He found freedom through obeying God's voice.  This book is a little on the technical side regarding health matters and the surgeries that he performed, but it is still a good read.                                                                                            
This to me was one of the best books that I have ever read. It is one that belongs in every Christian's home. Isaiah 66:2 says "This is the one to whom I will look: he who is humble and contrite in spirit."
What is it like to live humbly before God? How does pride show itself in all of the areas of our lives? How much do we know about pride considering that this is the sin that God hates, abhors, detests.
I cannot say enough good about this book. It is one that I plan to read over and over again. I hope that you do too. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the recommendations! I am also always looking for a new read :) I ordered "Humility" and am looking forward to it.

    Rachel Sjaarda

    ReplyDelete