Tuesday, December 20, 2011

my crazy kijiji experience

My life has never been the same since kijiji came along. I was already an advid garage saler but kijiji put things on a whole new level. Most of our house is kijiji. We have bought chickens, furniture, bushes, birthday and Christmas gifts - if we are looking for something, most often we can find it.
A few days ago I saw the most beautiful antique lanterns on kijiji. They were the real stuff made out of cast iron and they were nice and big. They came off of a historic hotel in Niagara -on-the Lake and these lanterns were a bargin at $30.00 a piece. They would add really neat character to our shop. I was the 26th person to view the add so I thought that I had a good chance of buying them. I emailed right away and we made arrangements for me to see them at 3:30.  At 2:45 I called the owner just to make sure that it was all good to go but the owner had the nerve to tell me that I had better hurry because there was someone who lived 20 minutes away, on her way to see them. I felt my blood pressure shoot towards the sky and said "whaaat!"
The competitiveness in me that never seems to make an appearance during things like sports all of a sudden engulfed me. I slammed the phone down, grabbed the two younger boys and their coats (forget about shoes) and buckled them up in the van in record time. I sped out of the driveway with my coat half on and the race was on. I drove a little on the fast side in the pouring rain. I tried to tell myself to relax, breathe, take big gulps of air and slow down but the greed/competiveness in me was too powerful. I had memories and bad feelings of going to garage sales and spying the perfect item but unfortunately more ladies have also spotted it.  We all pick up our pace and try to look relaxed as we race toward the item. There is nothing worse than seeing someone beating you to it and grabbing it with a triumphant smile. All of these thoughts were whirling in my mind as I gritted my teeth while sitting at stoplights and following very slow trucks on to the highway. The rain poured down and Andrew was busy talking away to me but I could only think about getting to that house before the other lady did. When I finally got to her house (it seemed to take forever) I jumped out of the van and tried to casually walk toward the door as if I had all of the time in the world. Meanwhile I was out of breath. She opened the door and said that the lanterns were in the barn. I almost whooped out loud. I had beat the other lady. The lanterns were just right for us and I was really pleased with them. I had been there for less than two minutes when the other lady showed up. I quickly shoved the money to the owner and grabbed the lanterns. I was out of there. This was not one of my finer moments in life:) There should be rules posted on kijiji saying that if you want to sell something that there is a proper order to do things or else there are going to be crazy drivers all over. I am sure that there are interesting stories out there. If you want to see the lanterns you will have to come by and hopefully they will be hanging soon.

6 comments:

  1. Hehe..this is a little bit funny! :-)

    I LOVE kijiji too...we buy and sell tons of stuff on there. And anything we need can be found there for a MUCH better deal than in stores/on car lots etc... ;-)

    Hope you're all doing well!

    Jen K from St.T :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is hilarious Kerri! I can totally see this happening with such determination on your face :)
    Keep the blogs coming! Love them

    ReplyDelete
  3. St. George garage sale. We are all on a high. Our pockets are lined with cash. We buy and buy and buy. We gloat from the one house to the other. When the SUV won't hold anymore, we stuff Renee in the back with all of our bargains. We talk about all of our unbelievable bargains all the way home. We get home and start bragging to our husbands all over again.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny, Kerri!!! I have a hard time imagining you being a crazy lady like that!!!! :) I'm glad you got the lanterns, though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I laughed and laughed when I read this - I TOTALLY understand because I have the same thing feeling. Once I went to pick up a dresser at the agreed upon time, only to have her tell me it was sold. Um, pardon me?!?!?! We AGREED on this time and you sold it beforehand? That is NOT how kijiji should work people! It took everything in me to calmly say "Ok, well, thanks anyway."
    Thanks for the giggle.

    ReplyDelete