Friday, April 29, 2011

bringing up boys


I am the oldest of four girls. I have no brothers. Now I have four boys. And they are true boys(!)
A lot of people ask me what that is like. I still have not come up with the right word to describe it.
Growing up, I was really afraid of boys. If a friend invited me over to her house, I would want to know if her brothers would be home. In church, if a boy sat beside me, my mom said that I would shove them down the pew far away from me:) Boys were a mystery to me and I avoided them at all cost, until I met Adam!
Back to bringing up boys. When our first son arrived, I was delighted. A whole new adventure and I was quite confident in my parenting abilities. Raising a boy couldn't be that different from raising a girl. Let's just say that Nate paved the way for his brothers. He made a big wide road for them. I was not prepared for the climbing, running, loudness, banging, and their love for a dare. I was not prepared that there would be times that I would have no idea what to do or say. Like the time that one of the boys stomped on a snail. Inside I was horrified. Was I bringing up a creature killer? What would he turn into? Is this the violence that I heard about? Is this what boys do? All of these thoughts were going through my mind. I decided to act on my gut instinct and I warned the lad that he must never do that again or there would be severe trouble. Later on I was second guessing myself and wondered if I over reacted. I  told Adam about the occurence and he agreed with me but then a little while later he said to me "they are boys." What is that supposed to mean?  It would be one thing if I had an older sister who had some boys and I could watch her and learn from her. Instead my younger sisters are watching me!  But I have come to embrace boyhood. I love it. I find myself trying to see the world through their eyes. I understand their need to get rid of their energy (although there are many times that I am praying for energy to keep up with them.) I love how they can have fun with eachother and let their imaginations soar. I love how they treasure such weird things and how small things make them so happy. I know that I have lots to learn. I am very thankful for men like Dr. Dobson and his insightful book "bringing up boys" and to Adam who is a wonderful example of what a godly husband and father is like.  There are times that I look ahead a few years and I get scared. What will it be like when they are teenagers? Will I be able to let them leave and cleave to their future wives? These things can make me nervous, but for now I am enjoying them and I am thankful to God for them.

5 comments:

  1. I love your boys! Their agility and energy and imagination astounds me! What a keepsake picture!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are really boys! When they play, they have a pound of dirt on them. Today Andrew wanted a bath here, because at home they have showers, and I thought, a bath today would be half and half - half water and half dirt!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO loving that photo!!! Although, I think that they are a bit too clean if you ask me.....ENJOY those boys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that picture Kerri and the part about the snail made me laugh, not the killing part, but about the creature killer. Yes, we are all watching you because we love how you raise your boys!
    Renee

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this picture! What beautiful blessings. Frame this one! (o:

    ReplyDelete