Wednesday, May 4, 2011

before and after

Back in January when Adam told me that he had to go away for a few days at the end of the month, my brain went into overdrive thinking about what I could change. The Kitchen! I have disliked it intensly since we have had it. We bought it second hand and the dark, heavy oak was not "me". I thought that I had better warn Adam that there would be a major change while he was gone so as he was walking out of the door I said "while you were out...."  Adam left in the evening and early the next day the painter was in! I was so excited. When the first white coat went on those dark cupboards I was giddy - telling the painter that I loved him. (a good thing that he was my cousin!)
The problem was my nerves. I had done a sneeky thing. Adam is very easy going with my decorating and how things are done around here, but a marriage is always better when you discuss the possiblity of spending a certain amount of money before you actually do it:)  The painting was finished on Friday and after the paint dried my dad came late at night to put the new knobs on the cupboard doors. The kitchen looked beautiful and I was beyond thrilled. Adam came home early Saturday and grinned when he saw the kitchen. He thought that it looked great which made me sigh with relief. Now the kitchen is "me!"










7 comments:

  1. It looks amazing Kerri! I wish I could do the same thing but unfortunately we rent our house and painting the oak cupboards would be a "no-no" :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your spunk!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that I have finally learned how to respond on this blog:)
    Thank you to all of you who have left a comment before. I love it!
    Anneke, if it makes you feel a little better, the white is more up-keep. I have finger marks everywhere:z
    Mom- I wonder where I got these "let's see what I can do when the husband is away" ideas from!!
    Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great change, Kerri! It's amazing how a change in colour and hardware gives it an entirely new look.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerri, it looks awesome!! Didn't I tell you white is harder to keep clean? Looks beautiful though!!! :)
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kerri, that looks amazing!! I LOVE it!! I'm so glad that Adam loves it too, how could he not? Its really gorgeous. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree - it looks great! Like you, I love a white kitchen ( of course, the only fingerprints on the doors are my own...)

    Marion

    ReplyDelete