Tuesday, October 20, 2015

BOOKS


"The Waiting" by Cathy LaGrow made my ICPID list without a second thought. This true story was simply amazing...a mother meeting her daughter decades later after giving her up for adoption. The author skillfully weaves the mother and daughter's lives throughout the book. Well written, true, inspiring... this book couldn't get any better.


And here is the back of "The Waiting."

"Fearless" is another ICPID book. (ICPID - I couldn't put it down)
This book grabbed my attention from the start. Another true story that was well written. Guys will especially like it as it tells the back ground of the Navy Seals and gives insight to their vigorous training. This is the story of Adam Brown, Navy Seal, his addiction to drugs, and his tragic death while serving in Afghanistan. When I started to read about his death, I trembled when I realized I was reading this on March 17 exactly five years to the day that Adam died. It made it even more real and I thought and prayed for his dear widow on that night as she would no doubt remember that horrible knock on the door. 


Kara tells of her days of mothering her four beautiful children and then the dreaded discovery of cancer. She writes of her struggles, worry, fear, and about God clothing her with grace. This is a beautiful, tear-filled book. Kara wrote this book not ever knowing if she would see the pages of her writing bound. She lovingly puts quotes through out the book and there are thought provoking questions at the end of each chapter.

"John Know - Fearless Faith" by Steven J. Lawson is a shorter biography on the life of John Knox. It is not hard to read and will inspire you to know the God whom you serve better. Knox was no boring man, he was full of courage fighting against the false doctrines even if it meant his death.

"A Man Called Norman" by Mike Adkins. I picked up this treasure of a book at a second hand store. Mike moves besides a strange man named Norman and slowly builds up a relationship discovering who this man really is hiding behind all of his quirks. God uses Norman to teach Mike what loving your neighbour as yourself looks like.

And this summer I happily read the whole "Mitford" series by Jan Karon once again. This September her latest book, "Come Rain or Come Shine" put double exclamation points behind the series. The characters come alive in her books and you soon start to believe; there must be a cozy little town called Mitford where the people "take care of their own."

3 comments:

  1. Kerri, can I borrow "The Hardest Peace" from you if you own it? I followed her blog before she passed away, and would love to read her book! Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't own it but let me see what I can do Carrie! Too bad we aren't neighbours...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kerri,
    Upon your recommendation I ordered "The Waiting" and "Fearless" from the library. I just finished them both and they are at the top of my list of favorite books ever read. The authors write in such a compelling way. It is not hard to imagine being in these people's lives. Thanks for putting your recommendations on the blog. I order (or try) most of them! (I also read Hardest Peace last summer and loved it too!) I'm waiting for her second book to come in for me at the library!

    ReplyDelete