Monday, January 26, 2015

the gift of friendship


When a special card came in the mail, the timing was perfect. A few hours before the mail arrived, I had stood in the kitchen praying for help and encouragement. One of our sons had just come home from school with lice (that is a story for another blog post!) and I was going slightly ballistic. Surrounded by garbage bags and lice shampoo I ripped open the envelope. Inside was a beautifully written note about friendship and how thankful the card sender was for our friendship together. At the end of the card, I read  "keep the last Friday in November opened for a special outing." Babysitting had already been arranged for that night and my friend was looking forward to a special evening out. I got watery eyes after reading this special card and realized that God's timing is everything. The card was not signed so I would have to wait a few weeks to see who my secret pal was. I proudly displayed my card in the kitchen eagerly telling our visitors about my secret pal. 
Soon another card arrived in the mail and I searched for clues because by now my curiosity was escalating. 
On the last week of November the final card arrived telling me what time and where I was to meet my friend, and...this is big...I didn't need to make supper for my family before heading out that night because supper would be made and delivered to my parents. Unbelievable. 
That evening I  dressed up and headed off to Starbucks where my secret pal would be waiting.
When I got there, my friend Carrie was waiting. After giving her a bear hug, we ordered our warm drinks and headed out to the Keith and Kristen Getty concert. 




Years ago, I met Carrie while working in the hospital and within a few shifts of working together we knew this would be a friendship for life. We traded shifts just so we could work together and soon the other nurses on the ward referred to us as "team Carrie/Kerri."


                                                         Enjoying ourselves at the concert!


Friendship is a great gift! God uses friends to encourage, strengthen, gently guide and correct. I was  thankful to Carrie for her thoughtful planning and encouragement. She taught me that nurturing friendships is so necessary, even when there are busy seasons in life. Carrie and I  had a wonderful evening together and I will always remember those special cards that arrived in the mail. 

1 comment:

  1. Carrie is a very special friend! She certainly thought of everything. Everyone needs a "Carrie" in their life. I hope that you both remain very good friends.

    ReplyDelete