Wednesday, January 28, 2015

A Liberation Story

This week has marked the 70th year since the Liberation of the dreadful Auschwitz Concentration Camp. Watching the events surrounding the 70th Anniversary made me think of another liberation story I had recently read. This story is so beautiful that it is worth sharing.




The following Liberation story is found in this book.



The ten Boom household were preparing for a party. The parlor wall was removed to make room for the many guest they were expecting. Corrie ten Boom's nephew, Peter van Woerden was to be the guest of honour.
The following is recorded in "More Than A Hiding Place:"

 "Peter had spent several weeks in prison. His crime was showing patriotism to Holland. Peter, who was only 18 years old, was a gifted musician and church organist. The second anniversary of the Nazi occupation was Sunday May 10, 1942. Peter's church was crowded that day but everyone was very somber. At the end of the service Peter decided to lift the congregation's spirits by playing the "Whilhelmus," the Dutch national anthem! This is what happened as Peter began to play the notes of that forbidden song:

One voice began to sing, then another, and others; and soon, like a mighty sea, the glorious old hymn rolled forth from the overflowing hearts of hundreds of Hollanders as tears streamed down their faces. For that one moment we were a free people in the midst of a dark world full of oppression and persecution.

Exhibiting Dutch patriotism in occupied Holland was a crime, and the Nazis arrested Peter.



While in prison, Peter saw many loyal Dutch men taken away to their deaths. These were Peter's thoughts as he struggled with this own reality:

As far as religion was concerned, I'd been a model child. Of course I'd gone to church. Hadn't I been the organist? I had dutifully memorized my catechism. My knowledge of the Bible had been good enough to fool a lot of people. Somehow, though, as I looked back, it seemed superficial. At mealtime and during family devotions, I remembered thinking that religion was for older people, especially women. I could have used my mother's assurance now, in this place. But I tried not to think about it. Religion was not for me, not at 18 at any rate. Still the Holy Spirit kept working, prodding me, making me crave the assurance that she had. I tried to recall the Bible verses that I had memorized. This was to no avail; I 'd only memorize them for a day, or to recite them for a special occasion.

Peter's mother Nollie, smuggled him the New Testament portion of the Bible. Peter began to read it, as if for the first time:

Finally I quit struggling and knelt in the corner of the cell. Quietly I sought the lord, pouring out my heart full of tears and troubles until at last the wonderful assurance and peace that I had heard others speak of was mine. All the promises that I had read were now for me. Inside, I felt free, almost light, with a sort of joy. Circumstances no longer infuriated me. I had had to come to prison to find Christ, an unfailing Friend.

Casper ten Boom was so happy when he heard of grandson's newly found faith! The ten Booms wanted to recognize Peter's commitment to God in a special way. This was the reason for the party! As soon as Peter was released from prison his family and friends came to celebrate his "liberation." They were very thankful Peter had been liberated from prison, but they were thrilled about Peter's spiritual liberation! To honour Peter's new relationship with God, the parlor was renamed the "Liberation Room.""




No comments:

Post a Comment