Tuesday, November 20, 2012

table manners

In the book "Parenting By God's Promises" Joel Beeke emphasizes repeatedly how important it is for a family to take time and have supper together. This should be a time of asking each child how their day was and a time of conversing kindly and showing interest in one another.

Adam is very good at this and sets a good tone during supper time. I am the problem. By supper time I am tired and I have a hard time being nice when I have the twirling, chewing whirlwinds sitting all around me. To the right of me I have a boy that chews his food like a cow. The food on his plate is stuffed into his mouth in three humongous bites. There is no way that his lips could seal closed with his cheeks already bulging. I also have a climber right beside me stuck in a highchair. When he feels full he just throws his plate with the left over food on to the table. I was never good at catching things, so a plate of food is impossible to catch and lands all over the floor. To my left I have a boy that can twist and turn his body into all sorts of positions. I spend so much of the supper time reminding him that he is not a monkey and that he must sit on his behind. The boy that sits across from me is lucky because he is out of my reach. He has table manner issues too. He thinks that a fork is a foreign object and that somehow each particle of food should be felt with his hands first before his hands put the food into his mouth. On top of that he has a habit of moving his chair further and further away from the table. I think that he does this on purpose since he is our most picky eater. A good portion of his food just happens to fall onto the floor.
(Adam sits right across from me and just so you know he has good table manners!)
I look around me and wonder is this just a boy thing? Do girls automatically come with good table manners or do they need to be taught too? I imagine my sons' future girlfriends going out on a date with one of them and saying "Where is this guy's manners? They are despicable! Didn't their mother teach them anything?"
So should I leave the table manners teaching alone and be like Adam and concentrate on creating a good family atmosphere? Is this just a stage and all of a sudden the child develops table manners on his own?
 My conclusion is that just like the rest of life, balance is the best thing. The challenge is finding it. It also doesn't hurt to ask other families how their supper hours go and maybe they have some helpful suggestions. Maybe some of you have some suggestions too!

11 comments:

  1. Hi Carrie, your supper table sounds just like our supper table and we have 3 GIRLS! Take a deep breath before you sit down and pretend you didn't see the stuff 'fall' to the floor. Open the door and let the 'vacuum cleaner' in. :) Enjoy these moments as they are the stories you will tell the girlfriends and laugh. Keep you head up!
    Monica P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've never commentted on here before, but this time I couldn't resist. I have SIX boys, and one girl. Boys just are different. They don't see mess and squirming as an issue at all. It does get a little better as they get older, but sometimes those older ones let out horrid sounds that get the rest laughing, and I just throw my hands up in the air. I laughed outloud when I read about the little one tossing his food. Our youngest is 19 months, and he does the same thing. I always think I'll catch it, but he always seems to wait until I'm busy and then he tosses it all. Tonight it was a bowl of fruitcocktail. He had barely taken a bite, and it went everywhere. Our girl isn't quite as bad, but she wipes her mouth on the table cloth!!! :) too funny, I enjoy your down-to-earth posts. Thanks for sharing, and I hope you don't mind my reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Carrie, your supper table sounds like our supper table and we have 2 boys and 3 GIRLS! Take a deep breath before you sit down and then pretend you didn't see the stuff fall to the floor, open the door and let the 'vacuum cleaner' in. :) Eventually the boys will want to impress the girls and maybe it will occur to them to have some manners :)
    I don't really have any suggestions as I am as challenged as you! :) (I'll check back in a few days to see if anyone else has any suggestions)
    Monica P

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. You have gorgeous little boys!! Too Cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol! This made me laugh! They will be good stories to tell future girlfriends! My parents taught us all at young age to keep our lips together as we chewed, don't ask me how they did it though, it's a tricky thing to teach a kid! We're working on our 2 1/2 year old and let's just say it's a work in progress! As for wiggling I don't know, but I do know that when my younger brother talked too much he was sent to the bathroom with his supper(the only other place without carpet) to finish and then he could come back. He was a SLIGHTLY social being, so the threat was often good enough for him to quiet down and finish up. Hehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, I think every house with young children is the same. I've been tempted to mark a big X on each chair with some tape so that they know where their bums belong! I don't know about at your house, but at mine it always happens that just as I have everyone's food on their plate and cut up appropriately and sit down to have my own supper someone is always done or needs something else - I'm looking forward to hot meals again someday (but not yet). My latest find was that if I leave a small chocolate on the counter for everyone that finishes their meal, the food goes down a lot easier and gets me out of dessert planning. My biggest struggle is having an open door and showing hospitality in having others over for dinner and the fear of what they may think of our child rearing as they watch out dinner table. Ericka

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, your table sounds pretty calm compared with ours :)! We will start the meal with 10 and end up looking for one or two by the time the Bible reading comes along (tonight Calvin~our almost 2 yr old, had slipped upstairs and was playing the ipod...) I use a tablecloth because that way when the glass tips (and it always does at least once) the water doesnt flood away so quickly. Sometimes i get really discouraged about their table manners,but somehow the older ones have managed to show decorum while eating so I hold out hope that all my nagging to the younger boys will not be in vain. Just keep your chin up...this crazy supper table is where memories are made!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for all of your comments. I always love reading them!
    Last year at Christmas I bought an advent chocolate calendar and if the boys used good manners they would get their piece of chocolate. If they did not use good manners I would eat their chocolate in front of them. The problem was that December soon runs out. I wonder if you could buy a bunch of those calendars until good table manners becomes a habit...
    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've often thought of blogging about meal times too :) My biggest problem is that Chris isn't in the house until 6:30 or sometimes later and it's just too late for the kids. So I end up eating with my 2 kids a little earlier. My daughter (almost 3) now refuses to feed herself, is always tipping her chair, and spilling her milk. If I cried over spilled milk, I'd be crying at least once a day! I can't remember the last time I've had a "hot" meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kerri, I always have a good laugh over your blog posts...why is it that I can just see you with a twinkle in your eye, eating their chocolate?!? It's been too long since we've seen each other, my dear friend. We'll have to fix that!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete