Wednesday, November 7, 2012

from the homefront - month of october

We have a new addition for our family - a dog! This has been a long time in waiting for our boys but we are thrilled with our new chocolate lab. She is a friendly, easy-going mannered 3 year old. The boys are in love with her and we think that she loves her new home too!

 
 
 

CHARGE!
 
On Thanksgiving we had family over and Adam's aunt brought the most beautiful kites over for the kids. The weather was windy and the kites were a hit.
 
 
 



-Getting organized -
During the past few months I have made some trips to Ikea. I like to think that I am organized but there are areas, such as paper work that I am terrible at. If it wasn't for Adam we would be in big trouble. Not one bill would be paid:)
First I cleaned through the house and pretended that we were moving. This massive de-cluttering helped give a head start to getting organized.

These magazine rack things from Ikea have been the biggest help. We hung it in our closet door right underneath a jumble calendar. Each child has a folder and everything goes in it. There are no more frantic mornings looking for what they need to bring to school. I love this thing!

In our back entrance, which is also our main entrance I bought this bookshelf and tipped it on its side. Now each child has his own basket with his hats, scarves, and mittens. It was about $70.00 which is not a bad price but the baskets are almost as much as the bookshelf! Either way this has already made a huge difference for morning rushes and cleaning up.

Here is an old crate from a garage sale on top of a little table from another garage sale! All of the incoming - and outgoing books belong there. We have a school library as well as a church library, books that we are borrowing from people - everything goes in that crate.

We have a little spot by our front entrance that is the toy area. I bought this bench from Ikea in the as-is section because it was already assembled - great for me! All of the little cars, animals, and lego fit nicely in the bench and that keeps the clutter hidden.

 -WAR  OF 1812-
 
 
 
 
We spent a cold, rainy Saturday watching the re-enactment of the civil war. It happened exactly 200 years ago on the same date in the same field. The boys were just thrilled to watch the battle take place. With the guns and Indians and the smoke - they were in their element. I just wish that I knew what was going on. My history needs some brushing up on because the only help I could offer was to cheer for the red coats!

2 comments:

  1. I remember the days when the back packs would be emptied and there came papers, papers and more papers! Then the mittens, scarves, hats, snow pants, skates, boots, uniform pieces - I could have used some of your organizing strategies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say thank you for the idea with the Expedit bookcase... I just got one today and my husband built it right away - oh, the little things that thrill us. Hoping it stays organized too. Thought I would share a series that has been edifying to me as a mom... check out fiveintow.com Ericka

    ReplyDelete