Monday, August 10, 2015

the first kiss

It was the summer of  '95. Adam and I were 14 years old but that was the only thing we had in common. We had attended school together and were even in a split class. He was good looking, smart, a natural athlete. I, on the other hand avoided gym class and tried hard to blend into the background.
Somehow our families ended up at the same cottages that summer. I don't remember much about that week except for the evening when a group of us new teenagers gathered around the campfire way up on top of a hill by the old farmhouse; far away from the parents. As we sat there roasting marshmallows someone suggested the game "truth, dare, double-dare, promise to repeat." Everyone was having fun, laughing and enjoying the starry evening. Suddenly my ears perked up when I heard my name. I listened closely and gasped. Silently, I was having a fit. My cousin/friend, Leanne, dared Adam to kiss me. What! I questioned whether she could be a friend...who would do something so dreadful and embarrassing?! This cool guy giving me, the one with big awkward glasses and shinny braces, a kiss. This was more than humiliating. With a racing heart, I tried to think of a quick way to get out of this mess.
Before I could analyze the situation any further, I felt a quick peck on my cheek. Thankfully it was dark outside and no one could see me blushing. I just got my first kiss, from Adam and Adam gave his first kiss...to me.

Fast forward two years. I was working in the greenhouse when the boss announced Adam would be a new employee. Even though the greenhouse was a small operation, I avoided Adam at work. I was shy around guys and thought of him as an over-confident guy- a nice way for saying a tad cocky. A few months past and I noticed a change in Adam. He was kind, caring, and there was a true humbleness about him. Through conversations I learned the Lord had worked in his heart while he was at Camp Tamarac, a Christian camp for young people. The Lord had such an impact in his life, Adam wanted to share what He had done. "His cry for help was turned to praise, and He had set him free." (ps. 66)

We started to show interest in each other and it became really obvious. At night we would sit for long hours at the computer and email over the slow dial-up all our deepest thoughts and feelings and then during the day at work or at school, we would totally ignore one another! We were so shy! This went on for a few agonizing months.
 One beautiful spring day, we were at a youth event together when a guy, Adam's spiritual mentor, stopped us and congratulated us on our relationship. He then gave me a book "Let Me Be a Woman" and Adam a book, "The Mark of a Man" both by Elisabeth Elliot. We thanked him for his thoughtfulness. Not only did he give us two well written books, but he helped us seal our relationship.

Four years later we were married on a warm summer day, August 10.




Last year we had the honour of being in the wedding party for our brother and sister-in law. Their wedding pictures were taken on the same porch where we had our wedding pictures.


***If there are any young people reading this story please take your time in your relationships, especially if you start dating at a young age. Our relationship was slow, but we never regretted it.
 Go to Christian young peoples camps and events. Enjoy this season that God has given you. When we were dating, if felt like forever before we could get married, but now looking back, it is a big blur, we can hardly remember those dating years.
We are still thankful to the young man who helped Adam through the beginnings of his spiritual journey. He took it upon himself to be available for Adam's questions and encouraged him. Perhaps you are that young man or woman that could help someone who is struggling. Your listening ears and prayers go a long ways.

"O let the Lord, our gracious God, Forever blessed be...Who safely holds our soul in life, and steadfast makes our ways" (ps. 66)


4 comments:

  1. Oh Kerri, I don't even remember that campfire! Hilarious! Loved the blog! Loved the two pictures, so special! God has and continues to do great things in your lives! Happy Anniversary lovebirds! And May the love of Christ continue to abound as you walk life's pathway together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kerri! I don't know if you still look at these comments since this post was written a while ago, but I just read your post now and thought it was very sweet :) I still remember Adam at Tamarack and I remember him bringing you along with him to Toronto one week-end. Special days. The years pass too quickly! May the Lord bless your home and marriage.
    P.S. I love your final comments :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh Kerri I so love your blog!! I never check blogs anymore but your Mom linked it off facebook and I wish I could read everything!! (way too late though and too much to do still before bed!! But I will come back now that I have remembered. :) ) I miss you!! I'm so sorry about your Grandpa, what a wonderful man and beautiful memories you have of him. Thankful for our glorious hope. Lots of love to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and what great advice!! AND I am so curious who this fabulous mentor is. :)

    ReplyDelete