Friday, November 21, 2014

The Trouble Maker's Mission




*Stitches and Scrapes; bumps and bruises. The ER doctor wanted to teach me the signs and symptoms of concussions. I know them all...- God had prepared me for the life of five boys by leading me to be a nurse before becoming a mother.

**Every morning, these two little guys wake up raring to go. Together, they have a quick planning session and then happily perform their mission. That is to Search, Destroy, and Conquer and make as much mess as they can in a short time. Born without fear, these two boys leap from furniture to furniture (why use the floor?), move randomly from room to room and destroy. When they are not destroying they are hungry.
***A few weeks ago I told my sister that Caleb has figured out grandpa and grandma live down the road. I was relieved it was almost winter because that would deter him from taking off to their home. Fast forward a few hours later and Tyler runs into the house, "Caleb is on the road!, Caleb is on the road!" Sure enough, he was half way to grandpa and grandma's home moving at a quick clip-(he is not two years old yet). The brother who was supposed to be watching him told me repeatedly Caleb had been right beside him. Caleb is our quickest and fastest toddler yet. 
 Less than a week later, someone else who was on "Caleb watch", (this time the other adult in our home), noticed two cars stopped on the road. He ran to the road and saw Caleb booting it to the grandparents home; totally undeterred by the two strange cars. Caleb was brought inside and put into his crib for some disciplining. I expected to hear screaming and a loud commotion: instead it was strangely quiet. Slowly opening his bedroom door I was surprised to see Tyler in the crib with Caleb. He was rubbing Caleb's back and talking in a soothing voice. I think I heard. "I feel your pain brother. I have escaped many times to grandpa and grandma's but dad and mom always bring me back home!"

****During the past 11 years I have had 4 combinations of boys here at home with me. These last two have been the busiest and I think it is because there is also school work involved with the older three. When Tyler started preschool for three afternoons a week, I had great plans to work on projects and stay ahead of household duties. (Instead, I usually take a nap trying to recharge!) It has been good though. I have learned that these years are fleeting and to enjoy their funny dress- ups, lopsided forts, and hilarious questions.


 *****The combinations of boys at home with me over the years...
Nate & Liam

Liam & Andrew  


Andrew & Tyler

Brothers.

1 comment:

  1. You can see the mischief brewing in Tyler's sidelong glance and quirky grin - but Caleb looks so innocent! You may have had hours with Caleb in emerge on Sat, but I'm also in stitches (from cracking up).

    ReplyDelete