Saturday, May 17, 2014

this past week...


Andrew came running inside, "Call 9-1-1...!" I went running outside and sure enough having a big, mean snapper on your driveway is reason to call for help. This thing hissed, and practically snarled at us. When I threw a stick close to the snapper, it's sharp crunch of the jaws echoed. My sisters and I have an intense fear of snapping turtles.  When we were little, it wasn't the "monsters" under our bed that kept us awake; it was the snapping turtles. 
I knew that this thing had to go but unfortunately Adam was out of town. I looked down the road and regretfully remembered that my parents were also out of town. But lo and behold they had a construction guy working there so I drove over and pleaded for him to come and take care of this hissing snapper. Thankfully he came over and loaded it up in a tote to take somewhere far from our home.
I am choosing to believe that this snapper came from the swampy pond, way out back, rather than our swimming pond.





One morning I came home from the bus stop and met this raccoon hanging in our tree. We only have one tree to talk about and there it was. It stayed there for many hours almost as if it was afraid to climb down. It was probably thinking about the box of raccoon skin hats and "guns" that this household owns, along with some very eager hunting boys.
Our laying hens arrived and it is good to hear some clucking again. Tonight at supper, Adam asked Tyler, "What comes out of a chicken?" 
Very seriously Tyler replied, "POOP."


Right outside of my kitchen window this busy robin takes care of her young ones. Seeing these wide open beaks and her flying back and forth scrounging up food to satisfy them, reminds me of -  me. The groceries aren't even out of the van and I am surrounded by a bunch of "starving" boys.


Spring is just so delightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment