Wednesday, December 18, 2013

December 18, 1962



December 18, 1962. It was a dark and blustery winter evening as Jilt and his wife Jacoba stood at the end of the driveway of their small war time home, waiting for a chance to cross the road. They had plans to spend the evening at their church celebrating Christmas with friends, singing and enjoying one anothers' company. Being actively involved in the church community was not something new for Jilt and Jacoba. Before they immigrated to Canada, Jilt had served as a deacon in their church in Holland and now here in Canada he was an elder. Although being immigrants in a new country for the past eight years was challenging Jilt and Jacoba had the pleasure of witnessing their daughters and son marry. They joyfully welcomed grandchildren into their lives. Their youngest son, Garry still remained at home and Jilt kept busy with his upholstery business.



Jilt and Jacoba in their younger years.

On December 18, as Jilt and Jacoba crossed the road dressed in their warm winter clothes, a car came barreling around the corner. With the smell of alcohol on his breath, William C. aged 38 headed straight for Jilt and Jacoba throwing them on to the roof of his car and then tossing them into the air. Jacoba, just two months shy of turning 60, died upon impact and Jilt, 66, died of his injuries two hours later in the hospital.


Their son, Garry, was playing the organ in the living room of their home when he heard the screeching of brakes and then a loud thud. Instantly he knew that it was his parents.
Jilt and Jacoba's children were called and told that a terrible accident had taken place and to rush to the hospital. Tragically they never saw their parents alive again.

(Jacoba and Jilt are on the right - two years before their death)

The next morning, the newspaper headline read, "City Couple Killed By Car."
The family, in their shock and grief, made calls to their friends and family in Holland, wrote obituary notices, and decided on funeral arrangements.
My dad had just turned eight when his grandparents were killed and although he remembered his grandparents small, little home, with the organ taking up most of the space in the living room; he also remembered spending time there, the rabbits that his grandfather raised, and the upholstery business in the back shop. My dad said that he will never forget the phone call of that night, watching his parents' shocked faces and then the rush to leave for the hospital.
1Thessalonians 4:13-18 was written on the obituary notices and what a blessing it was for Jilt and Jacoba's children to know that those who die believing that Jesus died and rose again will always be with the Lord. They were able to comfort one another with this (vs 18).


*******
Reading the old newspaper articles from 1962 and asking my grandparents questions about the accident has made me reflective and has challenged me.
*I was reminded that life on earth is a journey and we will leave behind a legacy. How we live now, the decisions we make, the words we speak, and our actions determine what kind of legacy we will leave.
*We often say, "the Lord willing." On that winter evening, Jilt and Jacoba closed the  front door of their home and a few moments later they were taken from this earth.
*This accident occurred exactly one week before Christmas Day. While the Christmas season may be "merry and bright" for us - not everyone is celebrating. Those around us may be in a hard place in their lives and we need to come along side them and be understanding and sympathetic.

Tonight, Adam and I look forward to celebrating Christ's birth in our church. Exactly fifty-one years ago, so did my great grandparents. Last night my grandfather said to me that generations come and go, but one thing remains - God is faithful and He is good!





7 comments:

  1. Kerri, what a story! I never knew this about Uncle Garry's grandparents. One day, you will meet them...what an amazing thought! Since you are not on facebook, I also wanted to say Happy Birthday!!! I am a little under the weather, but am hoping to be at the concert for the first hour at least. Maybe I'll catch you there. Have a great day, and I wish for you God's richest blessings in the year ahead :) Love, Melinda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written!! You should be a writer, I think this more often as I read your lovely posts:)
    Sad story, but what a blessing to morn with HOPE!!
    Have a Blessed Christmas with your dear family!!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a beautifully written story (you already ARE a writer! lol)....your mom, and my mother-in-law (Mike's mom, Diane) shared your blog with me, and I can't tell you how moved I was! I literally got chills...good chills! So much to say, and share, but will sum it up with what an amazing testimony of the amazing Love and Grace of our great Lord, Jesus...and that while the enemy meant to harm with this horrible tragedy, God meant it for good, and so much GOOD has come from the amazing God-loving, God-fearing, God-loving family they left behind..their amazing legacy, and the amazing GLORY all be to God for how he uses events like this for greater good! I just can't wait till we are all together in Heaven someday sharing all the stories! Good thing we have eternity to do it! Thanks so much for sharing this very moving story with us, Kerry. And I still can't believe how much yours (and our kids too!) great grandpa looks so much like their grandpa, whom Mike looks like, and now our son Sean too! Those strong Dutch genes! Love it! God Bless you and your beautiful family, especially today and this Christmas celebrating our great God, whom sent His only son, Jesus to be born and die for us, so we can be with Him together with the Saints in Heaven forever sometime soon! Amen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi,
    I remember sitting at home in Oshawa when that phone call came through. I was trying on a pair of new ice skates. My parents immediately called in a babysitter and then rushed to Hamilton. Your great grandmother was my aunt, my mom's sister. It was a very sad time and I remember it vividly. I was 10 years old at the time and it was the first time I was confronted with someone I knew dying.

    I also remember the huge organ in the living room and the box of toys that was brought out when we came to visit. I also remember the rabbits and my rabbit ''snowball'' ending up at their place ( and probably as supper)

    I also remember your Great grandmother and my mom sitting at the living room table room in their slips. I also remember the noises she made walking down the hall. (You will have to ask your grandmother about that lol)

    Thanks for sharing this memory and God's faithfulness through the generations.

    Margaret Harper-Hamstra.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kerri, thank-you for sharing this on your birthday. December 18 must mean a lot to Grandma--attesting to His blessing and His taking away. I also can't help but think of the poor driver. I am sure he never would have guessed the morning of that fatal day that his actions would have such an impact... even on our generation.
    We hope you have a blessed birthday! Heather

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday, Kerri! Thank you for sharing this story and your reflections. Love those verses from 1 Thes...I've was just reading those verses recently and love the comfort they contain.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Thank you for your responses! When I wrote this story I never knew that it would reach so many people!
    My grandma gave me an envelope with the newspaper clippings related to the accident and I read them over and over again trying to get all of the details accurate. And then I noticed a small little newspaper clipping and when I pulled it out I got goosebumps. It was my birth announcement from when I was born. It must of been very special to my grandma that I was born on the same day as the accident, seventeen years later. God's faithfulness is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete