Thursday, October 31, 2013

time change and a joke


Last year my dad stopped by on a Saturday evening wishing our little guy a happy birthday. Dad then asked me if it was the "time change" that night. I gave a laugh and said "YEP." Now to me that laugh was to be interpreted, "wouldn't that be a funny joke!" To my dad, a little more serious than I, it was "yes it was time to change the clocks tonight."
Our family woke up the next morning, welcoming a new Sunday and did our regular race to get ready for church on time. Usually when we are getting ready for church, our boys keep an eye on the neighbour's (my parents) driveway to see when they are about to leave for church and then we try to beat them. My dad is very predictable on Sunday mornings with getting into the car, backing up to the end of the driveway and then driving forward to the walkway. Usually a few minutes later my mom is ready and off they go.
Now that particular Sunday there was no action at all next store. We finally got the family loaded into the van and we took off, with the boys proclaiming victory. We had beat grandpa and grandma for once! Half way down our road, I felt my heart sink into my toes, and my hands took on a sudden clamminess. With a very serious, whispered voice I said "Oh no! Adam, I think that my dad took my half hearted attempt at a joke seriously and they think that church doesn't start for another hour."
 Ever calm Adam said to wait and see, and what happens will happen.
 Not so I told myself. This was no good at all.
 We shuttled our little ones into the babysit and then sat in the pew and that is when I saw the empty organ. "Oh no, oh no, oh no."
 Not only was my dad who never missed church now missing church, there was no one to play the organ. I started to do some quick problem solving.
 I could sort of play the piano, but it is better if only the four living room walls heard me. Not a congregation of four hundred people... I hurriedly scanned the song selections to see if I could attempt to play the piano. Four flats. Groan. Now my heart was beating very rapidly. I turned around and told my cousin sitting behind me that this was not good. Not good at all. He had no idea what my muttering was all about. And then, another organist walked down the isle and made himself comfortable at the organ. I almost hugged him.
After the church service was over we made our way home and the minute I stepped inside the phone rang. It was my dad. "Kerrrrrrri." Yes, I know. This was a joke gone bad.

4 comments:

  1. Of course you weren't here to miss the comments. Why were the neighbours already gone? Checked cell phone - no time change on that, which is supposed to happen automatically. I think we had a good cup of coffee though. Then meeting our nephew at the next service who sat behind us and can't do without a great comment. It was one of your jokes gone bad Kerri, but really; it was funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!
    That is too funny!!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing. I needed a good laugh. I can so picture your fretting Kerri with nervous giggles and underneath really enjoying it all somewhat.

    ReplyDelete