Saturday, May 11, 2013

Poison ivy strikes AGAIN


     A few weeks ago when the weather started to turn warm, my hands were itching to get into the gardens. I started to garden with a vengeance but at the same time I was very hesitant. I did not want a repeat of last year. Maybe you remember my blog post from last summer of "you know that you have poison ivy when..."
A few years ago my poison ivy was so bad that I didn't dare go out in public and considered buying a head covering. The poison ivy was under my chin and the worse thing is that I don't get normal poison ivy. It blisters and oozes and requires gauze; just terrible. When the poison ivy was under my chin, I looked like a billy goat; a very pathetic site.
So, as you can see, I have a fear of poison ivy that is well justified.
When I started gardening this spring I was on guard for this horrible, invasive weed that causes much grief. I studied each weed before I pulled it and had "leaves of three, let them be" going through my head.
I started to feel pretty good about myself because of my vigilance in searching out the poison ivy. I even started to become self-righteous and had an analogy to go along with all of this.
 I really should  put as much energy fighting sin and fleeing temptation as I put into being on guard for poison ivy. I should be constantly aware of every little sin that enters my heart and weed it out.
 As this was going through my thoughts, I became aware of an idol in my heart, and that was an idol of physical comfort. I like to feel good and have energy. I don't like being thirsty or hungry. My circumstances dictate my joy. This all became a matter of prayer but my prayer quickly changed when I discovered three little raised spots in a line on my leg. Please let them be bug bites. The next day my leg was red, inflamed, spots had spread and the itching was driving me crazy. My circumstances were causing me distress and I was not joyful at all. Miserable.
So here I sit with my leg elevated to decrease the swelling and wondering how to end this blog post. Andrew just walked by, took a disgusted look at my leg and told me that it looks like I am dying. I am not sure what to be more concerned about- my constant itching, or the fact that my son thinks that I am dying and walked away.

7 comments:

  1. NOT NICE! Although I have never had poison ivy myself, I know of several people who get it every year (up to 7 years I think) even though they are careful not to come into contact with the plant again. Seems to be the curse of poison ivy :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Anneke is correct. When you get poison ivy, it keeps coming back for the next 5-7 years in about the same spot, but if you scratch and spread it on yourself, those new spots will come back also. so, the good news is you probably haven't been in any contact this year, it just takes that long to get out of your system.. So, Im not sure if that is good or bad news to you:) hope it clears up soon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? That is strange about poison ivy and seven years.... that has not been my experience. I think I only get it year by year as I come into contact with it. At least, I can trace most times I've had it to actually being in or around poison ivy, and when I am particularly careful, I have not gotten it. Kerri, I have poison ivy around here too (though thankfully not in my gardens), and I wash thoroughly with dish soap whenever I've been near it, and throw all the clothes I wore in the wash! I wash my shoes, too. Last week, Jenna and Ryan were walking around picking flowers and things and were actually holding poison ivy that they had picked! I must admit I was not perfectly calm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerri, the next time you feel the urge to pull some weeds, just give me a call and I will bring down some Round-Up....that will take care of the poison ivy....I promise!!! :)
    On another note, Jared had poison ivy at the end of last summer, and he just a nasty dose again.... :( I feel bad sending him to school when he is so itchy....Maybe we can compare notes sometime!!

    Sharlene Huizinga

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keri,

    On a day like today, reading your blog made me smile...more like giggle. :) Not like you don't already know, but just in case your trying to brave out the storm and let it heal on its own, please go to the doctor to get a prescription. If I'm not correct, I think you tried waiting it out last year and it got pretty bad! hahaha Take care of yourself and hope the itching isn't soo bad... Leanne

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow you really get it bad eh? I just got it for the first time, am over the worst of it now, after doing calamine, benadryl, applecider vinegar, anti itch creams, steroids.... this is CRAZY!! Rudy just got it about as bad as you, his whole back was oozing, soaking through shirt after shirt, SO GROSS!! I was oozing too, in little spots on my legs & arms. Such an awful state to be in! Carole shared your blog posts with me, thanks for your funny posts! :)

    ReplyDelete