Saturday, March 30, 2013

april fools


              April Fools is BIG at our home and has become one of our most favourite times.
Weeks before the big day arrives, the anticipation is already high. I am a lover of practical jokes; I come by it honestly. My mom's side of the family could write the most hilarious book on all of the practical jokes that they have played.
When Adam and I got married, it quickly became apparent that he was the only one on the receiving end because I no longer had sisters living with me to bug. What always got me was that when Adam had the perfect opportunities to get me back; he never did. He told me that his brain wasn't wired to do mean things to other people. I, on the other hand, was constantly looking for opportunities to get him.
Adam was glad when we started having kids, and he wasn't sole recipient of my jokes any more.
From the time the boys were small, we played April fools jokes on them.
It started with sneaking into their room at night and wrapping their bunk bed with streamers so that when they woke up in the morning, they couldn't get out of their beds. The only bad thing with that joke was that I was nervous that they would have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
I made jello and stuck straws in their drinks so that when they tried to suck the juice it was solid.
 We put food colouring in their cereal so that when they poured their milk, it turned into a different colour.

Two years I googled "jokes to play on your husband." One joke caught my eye and I knew it had "Adam" written all over it.
---------------------------------------

We have our own business and there are times when customers call our home phone line and I take a message and email it to Adam. On April fools, I emailed Adam this message:
"Hi Dear, hope your day is going well.
 A man named Mr. Lyon called and he wants you to give him a call back. He says that it is urgent. His number is 1-416-.....and the rest of the number was the telephone number to the TORONTO ZOO.
Adam called the number and a man with a strong accent answered. Adam kind of ignored the man's rumbling and asked to speak to Mr. Lyon. The man started to answer Adam, but again Adam couldn't understand him.
 Adam said to him, "I don't think that you understand sir. I am trying to speak to Mr. LYON and MR. LYON said that it was urgent. I NEED to speak to him."
The man on the other end replied, "You have called the TORONTO ZOO! Someone has played an April Fools joke on you." CLICK.
Adam quickly caught on and burst out laughing!

5 comments:

  1. Kerri, Erik has written "Mr. Lyon, Toronto Zoo" as a 7:30 appointment in his calendar on April 1. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious! I know that the zoo gets a lot of those calls on April Fools day...;) A few years ago at the doctors office we gave a message to one of the nurses that said her patients daughter, named Mrs. Ella Fantay called. We wrote down the number for African Lions Safari. I think everyone of the nurses laughed until they cried! This nurse just didn't catch on, and repeatedly asked for Ella Fantay. The poor lady on the other end of the phone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kids have been busy planning April Fools too! You've taught them well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the Mr. Lyon joke!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are so mean, Kerri! How hilarious!

    ReplyDelete