Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Hospitality

I was reading through my torn, worn note book. This is my brain. Whatever I need to remember I write it in there and then hope that I can find it. I found two paragraphs that I wanted to share with you. I can't remember where I got it or when I wrote it, but it is a good thing to be reminded of.

Entertaining has little to do with real hospitality. Secular entertaining is a terrible bondage. It's source is human pride. Demanding, perfecting, fostering the urge to impress, it is a rigorous taskmaster that enslaves. In contrast, scriptural hospitality is a freedom that liberates.
Entertaining says, "I want to impress you with my beautiful home, my clever decorating, my gourmet cooking." HOSPITALITY, however, seeks to MINISTER. It says, "this home is not mine. It is truly a gift from my Master. I am His servant, and I use it as He desires. Hospitality does not try to impress but to SERVE."

And here is another one from Ruth Bell Graham on interruptions through out the day.

"Everyday is full of interruptions. I think that one thing that a busy housewife and mother has to learn is to accept interruptions as from the Lord. And the sooner she learns it, the happier she'll be. When you do, then you roll with the punches, and each interruption is an opportunity. In other words, if I tried to keep a rigid schedule, every interruption would make me frustrated and irritated. But when I accept each interruption as from the Lord, life becomes much more interesting and much more relaxed."

1 comment:

  1. thanks for sharing those! definitely things I need to be reminded of :)

    ReplyDelete